Friday, April 22, 2011

Pregnant Holidays

As Thanksgiving approached, I got more and more excited. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday mostly because of the food! I love the smell of it cooking away, the look of a fully cooked turkey and of course EATING it! We had plans to go to Massachusetts to my mom's. DH had to work the day before but I was off so Sammy and I hitched a ride with my sister and her boyfriend on their way up from Long Island. It was a late night but we made it safe and sound.

I thought Sammy would just sniff around and climb up on the bed to snuggle me to sleep. No dice. He just kept pacing around the bedroom and jumping off and on the bed. I was so worried he would pee on the nice new carpet that I kept taking him out to go. It's cold in New England in November and not fun for a pregnant woman, or anyone for that matter, to be out in at 3 am. It was a long mostly sleepless night preparing me for many that lay ahead!

I eventually got some sleep and awoke to the smell of coffee brewing. Let me say that I LOVE coffee, but the baby, not so much. I couldn't stand it while I was pregnant, so very sad. It was hard to detox but when I realized that it added to my already nauseous state, it was time for it to go. My mom made a yummy pancake breakfast and I was careful not to over do it for there was a turkey in my future. As the family arrived and dinner was close to being done, my husband sent me a text that he was running behind. He had stopped to see a fellow fire fighter in the hospital to lighten his spirits. We ended up eating without him but were sure to set a heaping plate aside. I was very thankful for maternity pants at that point because with that nice stretchy front panel, I was able to stay comfortable while enjoying my favorite meal. I called them my "turkey eatin' pants"! Bring on the pie!

We survived Thanksgiving dinner with the family and headed back to CT later that day. We didn't make it out of Mass...I was nauseous. Not good. It seemed that the lack of sleep and motion of the car took it's toll on my body and it decided that it didn't want to keep dinner in. We found a Dunkin' Donuts and that was the end of it. I was so sad to say the least. But I did learn one thing, that a Dunkin' Donuts in Norwood, MA also sells bananas. How random.

Now we had the difficult task of figuring out Christmas. Our original plan was to go back up to my mom's as we had spent the last few in CT. It was clear at that point that my very pregnant body could not handle all the traveling. The weeks went by and I still held out a trickle of confidence that I could still go to MA but as I got closer and closer to my due date of January 27, it was clear that I was staying put in CT. I was very fortunate in the end because my family came to make a delicious spaghetti dinner for me on Christmas Eve since I couldn't come up and DH was working. Christmas day DH's family came for a fantastic meal he prepared.

New Year's Eve came and went without much fanfare. I stayed up until exactly 12:01, way past my bedtime, kissed my husband and off to sleep I went. There would be no drinking or wild parties this year! We were a bit sad to see the next week pass because we usually spend them in Aruba with my family. There would be no trip this year because it was unsafe for me to fly at 32 weeks along. Bummer. Guess we'll have to take our little guy with us in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment