Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ok, so it's been a while, over a year to be exact, since I have written. Life got busy. I found out shortly after I began this blog that I was pregnant! DH and I were overjoyed but were now faced with the arduous task of telling the families. Who was going to be first, how are we going to tell them? DH's family lives just a few miles away whereas mine is a few hours away. Since our upcoming weekends were busy, there was no time to gather everyone together. We settled on telling his family in person while mine got a phone call.
I called my mother first near the end of my workday-I held the phone away from my ear right after I delivered the news because I KNEW she would scream! As we told more and more members of the family, this became the standard response. Everyone was so excited and had many questions for us. We didn't have all the answers right away but as time went by we certainly learned alot not only about pregnancy, but about ourselves and our families.

This pregnancy was not going to be easy as I had a since resolved heart condition that I was born with and a current blood disorder. This did not discourage us from enjoying every step of it though. I had doctors from three different hospitals involved in my care and keeping everyone informed was a bit of a challenge. My blood disorder required daily injections which my husband gladly administered when I just felt I couldn't. Luckily, there was enough, ahem, "padding" on my belly for him to give them to me without pain. There still is : )

I had many ultrasounds and doctor visits throughout which were always alot of fun. We enjoyed seeing our little guy on "tv" and were always eager to share the pictures with anyone who would tolerate them. The toughest part of this pregnancy was the morning/day/afternoon sickness that plagued me the ENTIRE time. Everyone said, oh it will be over by the time you are 12 wks, that came and went with no relief. Ok, so maybe at 15 wks, nope. As time went on, it was clear that it was here to stay. Everyone then said oh, it will all be worth it when you hold him, I said it better! And ultimately, they were right.

As anyone who has been pregnant can tell you, the first 12 wks you feel like a narcoleptic. I would be sitting at my desk and my coworker would walk by my office and I'd be out like a light, snoring away. Luckily, it was the quiet season at work and I did not have many patients to take care of. Two of my three coworkers are mom's so they understood my need to sleep. The soundproof booth that I do hearing testing in came in very handy for lunch time naps too! It was spring time into summer and I would be in bed, asleep, while the sun was still out and shining bright.

As time progressed, so did our baby. I started to feel him kicking, punching and rolling around in there. It was the most amazing, weird and comforting feeling. Except when he would decide that my bedtime was going to be his most active! :) If I could just create something that would give expectant mothers a heads up on what that feels like, I think I could make a fortune!

No comments:

Post a Comment